Elkhart provided it’s first virtual conference to give an update to it’s COVID-19 response Wednesday night.
Elkhart officials spent a lot of time focusing on testing.
Mayor Rod Roberson says Elkhart County has tested about 2 percent of its population. He says they’ve completed roughly 4,300 COVID-19 tests.
Roberson says that needs to improve in order to get a more accurate idea of how many Elkhart residents are infected.
“In order for us to have an idea of the spread of this highly infectious, highly transmissible virus, we need to make sure that we know where the next outbreak could be,” he says.
Governor Eric Holcomb announced this week Elkhart would be one of several cities to get a COVID-19 testing site as part of his plan to improve large-scale testing.
Roberson also noted about 40,000 people travel into Elkhart County for work which could be a concern as the economy begins to reopen.
The City plans to hold town halls addressing COVID-19 each Wednesday moving forward.
Elkhart County released the following information about COVID-19 testing sites:
Incident Command is currently looking at testing sites for the uninsured, undocumented, and Spanish speaking. We wanted to remind people of the locations that you can go now for a COVID test. We also know that the state Department of Health is setting up a testing site at the armory off of Oakland Ave. However, we do not have details at this time and will share as soon as we have them.
Screening and testing sites
- Goshen Hospital – 200 High Park Ave. Goshen In the ER (24/7) for Emergencies Only
- Goshen Health Urgent Care – 2824 Elkhart Rd. Drive Up testing off of US 33 (M-F 7 am – 10 pm; S/S 9 5 pm)
- South Bend Clinic - Drive Up Testing 300 E. Jackson (M-F 10-4) Preregister at 574-307-6870
- Elkhart Clinic at Concord Family Medicine – 25651 CR 20 Elkhart (M-Th 9-3, F 9-12)
- Beacon Medical Group -Millersburg- 500 Carriage Lane (Th 9-10)
- Beacon Medical Group - Nappanee-451 N Main St. (Th 11:30 – 3 pm)
- Prairie Mennonite Church – 1316 Prairie St. (T 12-3)
Beacon Medical Group Call 855-523-2225 first for virtual doctor appointment
- Elkhart General Hospital – 600 E. Boulevard (M-F 9-5; Sat 10-5) ER and Drive Up
- MedPoint-3301 CR 6 Elkhart (Daily 8-8 pm)
- Wakarusa-207 N. Elkhart St. (M, W, F 9-3)
- Middlebury-206 W Warren St. (T, TH 9-3)
St. Joseph Regional Medical Center
- People’s Clinic-Select Health Only 5218 Beck Dr. St. 12 (M-F 8-12) (By Drs order)
- Heart City Health-Current Patients Only 238 Simpson St. (M-Th 9-6; F 9-4)