UPDATE: 6 Hoosier COVID-19 Deaths

Mar 21, 2020

Credit Provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/ Alissa Eckert, MS

THE LATEST: 

On the afternoon of Sunday, March 22, the Indiana State Dept. of Health announced two more coronavirus deaths in the state.

The Goshen News is reporting that Goshen Health has 3 confirmed cases of COVID-19. Saturday Elkhart County announced its first case of the disease. Indiana State Health Dept. data so far does not reflect the additional cases in Elkhart County.

Meantime, St. Joseph County Sheriff William Redman announced on social media Sunday that, "My department is complying with Governor Eric J. Holcomb's Executive Order suspending all eviction and residential foreclosure proceedings during this state of emergency." 

Indiana Public Broadcasting has learned that a press briefing has been scheduled by the Indiana Governor's Office for Monday at noon.  The Governor's briefing will be about 15 minutes in length and will emanate from a location in front of his office doors.

The latest ISDH release is below. 

INDIANAPOLIS—The Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH) today announced that two more Hoosiers have died after testing positive for COVID-19, bringing to six the number of Indiana deaths related to the novel coronavirus.

The patients were adult residents of Scott and Marion counties. Both were over age 50 and had underlying medical conditions. No additional information about the patients will be released due to privacy laws.

As of today, 201 Hoosiers have been diagnosed with COVID-19. All but one are adults.

COVID-19 is a respiratory illness caused by a novel, or new, coronavirus that has not been previously identified. The virus causing COVID-19 is not the same as the coronaviruses that commonly circulate among humans and cause mild illness, like the common cold.

NEW:

The Indiana State Department of Health announced Sunday two new positive COVID-19 test results in St. Joseph County, bringing the total in the county up to eight.

They announced 7 new confirmed cases for the entire state, bringing the total to 201.

There is one confirmed case in Elkhart County and two in LaPorte County.

ISDH reports there have been four coronavirus-related deaths in Indiana so far.

Close to 1,500 people have been tested for COVID-19 in the state.

EARLIER POST:  

 The Elkhart County Commissioners have issued a travel advisory in the County due to COVID-19. 

 

As of 5 p.m. Saturday County officials ask that residents only travel for essential reasons such as work, food pick-up, medical reasons and checking on family. 

 

Elkhart County Emergency Management Director Jennifer Tobey said most places that people would go are closed down or limited to very small groups anyway.

 

“The travel advisory is just a backup to that, to say now that we have a positive case of this is in our county, it is serious and if you don’t have to be out, stay home.”

 

Elkhart County had its first confirmed case of COVID-19 on Saturday.

 

Tobey said people should be taking the advisory, and all other governmental and medical advice seriously. 

 

Breaking the travel advisory does not currently include any enforcement or fines.

 

PREVIOUS POST:

 

Hoosier health officials have announced another death in the state due to COVID-19.

 

 

Read the statement below. 

 

The Indiana State Department of Health today confirmed the fourth Indiana death from COVID-19. The patient is a Delaware County adult over age 60 who had been hospitalized. No additional information about the patient will be released due to privacy laws.

The death was first announced by the Delaware County Health Department.

As of today, 126 Hoosiers have contracted COVID-19. All but one are adults.

 

Data released from the Indiana State Department of Health on Saturday shows Elkhart County has its first confirmed case of COVID-19.

The state reported 47 new cases on Saturday bringing the total to 126. According to the data 833 tests have come back. That’s just over 15 percent of tests coming back positive. 

Credit Provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/ Alissa Eckert, MS

  The state reported its third COVID-19 death on Friday. 

Elkhart County has been criticized for lack of available testing and information from its health department. 

On Friday, Elkhart Mayor Rob Roberson estimated about 100 tests from Elkhart County had been sent to labs. He did not know how many had come back and how many were pending.