We're right where you want us to be.
It's popularly known as Michiana, but whatever you want to call the region of southwestern Michigan and north-central Indiana, WVPE has it covered.
- Dial Position 88.1 FM
- Power: 11,500 watts, with a coverage area of 60 - 70 miles.
- WVPE serves 17 counties in north central Indiana and southwestern lower Michigan with a total population of approximately 1,000,000.
The mission of 88.1 WVPE Public Radio is to be a vital communications resource that educates, entertains and inspires the communities we serve. We do this through programming, services, and events reflective of our culture and diversity to create a more informed public.
Our Distinctive Format
We're pleased to be Michiana's voice for award-winning National Public Radio (NPR) news and locally produced programming. In addition, our listeners are treated to a variety of entertaining shows, plus the unique sounds of jazz, blues and folk music. They also receive comprehensive world, national and regional news, and the latest information on a variety of topics - everything from health and science to changing technology, business and beyond.
From our humble beginning in 1972 as a student-run broadcasting lab at the Elkhart Area Career Center, we have become one of the top NPR member stations in the country by share (percentage of local audience listening to radio that listens to the local NPR affiliate).
- 1972 - WVPE-FM signs on as a Student-run broadcast laboratory
- 1983 - Jazz, Blues and Folk music become a regular part of programming schedule
- 1984 - A Prairie Home Companion joins WVPE programming as the station becomes an affiliate of American Public Radio (now Public Radio International)
- 1991 - WVPE becomes a member of National Public Radio
- 1995 - WVPE moves to an all-NPR news format with the addition of The Diane Rehm Show and Talk of The Nation
- 2003 - WVPE receives 11 awards for news coverage including an Edward R. Murrow Award for Excellence in Sports Reporting
- 2007 - Michiana Chronicles wins an Edward R. Murrow Award for Excellence.
- 2009 - WVPE completes significant power increase and moves antenna to new tower doubling our signal area.
- 2012 - Ol' Harv receives the 'Keeping the Blues Alive' award from the Memphis based Blues Foundation.
- 2012- WVPE celebrates 40 years
- 2015- WVPE launches 2 additional HD channels. One is more news/talk. One is collaboration with Elkhart Area Career Center's Audio/Video Production class and 'Ol Harv to create and maintain an all-blues channel.
The Friends of WVPE, Inc. is our Community Advisory Board. They hold open meetings every other month. Please call the station for more information at 888-399-9873. The next meeting is scheduled for the morning of Dec. 19. 2019 at a location to be determined on the campus of the University of Notre Dame.
WVPE is a member-supported service of the Elkhart Community Schools. WVPE is a licensee of the Elkhart Community Schools. The school board holds open meetings; the schedule can be found on their website. In addition, information about upcoming board meetings is listed below:
Regular meetings will be held at 7:00 p.m. in the J. C. Rice Educational Services Center, 2720 California Road, Elkhart, Indiana unless otherwise noted. Public work sessions and/or executive sessions held prior to regular meetings will be noticed as needed.
Any changes to the regular meeting schedule will be determined by Board action and special notice of any variance in date, time, or location will be posted and mailed to persons who have requested the same. Public work sessions will be held as noticed at 7:00 a.m. in the J. C. Rice Educational Services Center, 2720 California Road, Elkhart. Dates for potential work sessions are:
December 17, 2019**
** denotes 8:00 a.m
The annual Board retreat/public work session is scheduled February 27 and 28, 2020, time and location to be determined.
The Board’s meeting site is accessible to all persons. Any person requiring accommodation or assistance should contact the Administrative Assistant to the Board of School Trustees with the School Corporation’s administrative office, located at 2720 California Road, Elkhart, Indiana 46514, at 574-262-5506.
WVPE's public financial, EEO, and service records are published here.