INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department has agreed not to use tear gas and other “riot control agents” during peaceful protests to settle a lawsuit with the American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana. The ACLU filed a federal lawsuit in June on behalf of Indy10 Black Lives Matter and three individual protesters after IMPD used chemical irritants, pepper balls and batons against protesters in downtown Indianapolis on May-29-31. Violence and vandalism occurred that weekend, but the protesters who sued IMPD say they and many others remained peaceful. 

LBJ Library

Monday, July 13, 2020 at 9 PM

Photo provided by Indiana State Police

Indiana State Police say an Elkhart man has been charged after injuring a Trooper during protests in Fort Wayne on May 30. 

(You can read the ISP release below.)

(Lauren Chapman/IPB News)

Gov. Eric Holcomb says the Indiana State Police and National Guard are ready to deploy to any community around the state that requests assistance. 

Holcomb says the National Guard was used over the weekend to protect state properties amid violence from a few who sought to co-opt protests over racial injustice and police brutality, particularly against black Americans.

State Police troopers were sent to more than a dozen cities around the state to support local law enforcement.

Holcomb says he’s relying on local officials to request that support.

(Lauren Chapman/IPB News)

Gov. Eric Holcomb says he’ll continue to work on his “to-do list” for addressing systemic racism and injustice in Indiana.

Holcomb Monday spoke about this past weekend’s protests over racial injustice and police brutality, particularly against black Americans.

He did not directly address the latter issue – he only praised what he calls “restraint” shown by law enforcement. There were multiple reports of police in Indiana using tear gas on peaceful protesters, before demonstrations became violent.

Lauren Chapman/IPB News

Downtown Indianapolis streets were quiet Sunday night as a county-wide curfew kept people at home.

News reports showed empty streets in the heart of downtown as the clock approached midnight,  but about six hours earlier it appeared the city might be heading into a third night of unrest.

Indianapolis police used tear gas to disperse groups of protestors well ahead of the curfew that was set to begin at 8 p.m.