NEW: Dillinger Family Members Apply Again To Exhume Body

Sep 11, 2019

This April 20, 2016 photo shows the gravesite of John Dillinger, a famous Depression-era gangster, at the Crown Hill Cemetery in Indianapolis.
Credit BETH J. HARPAZ/AP PHOTO

NEW:

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Family members of 1930s gangster John Dillinger have submitted a new application to exhume his body from an Indianapolis cemetery.

The Indiana State Department of Health said it received the latest application Tuesday.

Dillinger's family first applied to exhume his remains in July as part of a planned History Channel documentary. The deadline to exhume and return the remains was Sept. 16, and the exhumation did not occur.

The History Channel last week dropped out of a planned documentary on Dillinger that would have included the exhumation. Family members said they have evidence Dillinger's body may not be buried in Crown Hill Cemetery.

Cemetery officials object to the exhumation, saying it would be disruptive. Dillinger's nephew, Michael C. Thompson, sued the cemetery last month, seeking a court order to gain access to the grave. A hearing is scheduled for Oct. 1.

 

ORIGINAL POST:

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The History Channel has dropped out of a planned documentary on John Dillinger that would have included the proposed exhumation of the 1930s gangster's Indianapolis gravesite.

A&E Networks spokesman Dan Silberman says The History Channel is no longer involved in the Dillinger documentary.

Silberman says network officials won't comment on why it has withdrawn from the project.

The planned exhumation of Dillinger's grave has become the subject of a lawsuit. Crown Hill Cemetery officials objected to the exhumation, prompting Dillinger's nephew, Michael C. Thompson, to sue the cemetery.

Thompson is one of two Dillinger relatives who obtained a state permit to exhume the gravesite, saying they have evidence that Dillinger's body may not be buried there.

An Oct. 1 hearing is scheduled in the exhumation lawsuit.