The City of Elkhart has announced it will move forward with trick-or-treating on Halloween this year.
(To learn more, you can read the city's release posted below.)
For 2020, Elkhart will have Trick-or-Treating from 6 – 8 pm on Saturday, October 31st. Participants are asked to leave their porch or other exterior lighting on for the duration of participation.
There are always precautions to be taken on Halloween to ensure the safety and enjoyment of everyone. In 2020, some added precautions are necessary due to the continued presence of the COVID-19 virus. The transmission of this virus from eating is unlikely, however, transmission is possible by touching an infected surface like a candy wrapper and then touching the eyes, nose, or mouth. Hand-washing remains an essential step in preventing the spread.
As you and your families set out to enjoy Halloween 2020, here are some precautions to keep in mind:
· Travel only in household groups
· Carry a flashlight or other luminous items like glow sticks or reflective clothing
· Those passing out treats are asked to not allow trick-or-treaters to reach into the communal container, but rather pass out treats wearing gloves or with frequent sanitizing
· Those passing out treats, please consider preparing goodie bags for individual trick-or-treaters to grab
· For Trick-or-Treaters, please don’t eat your candy until you’ve had the change to thoroughly wash your hands
· A costume mask is not a substitute for a cloth mask and costume-wearers should consider incorporate a Halloween-themed cloth mask into their outfit